Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Saturday Before

So, I decided what I wanted to do for my birthday was visit an alpaca farm.  I know it may seem a little strange to you non-knitters, Wait, what am I talking about you're not reading this.
Anywho, they're so cute, check it :
I picked a farm in Fairhope, AL, run by Katy Spears, she was really nice for letting us come and see the farm, and pet the babies!  They were so incredibly soft, even recently sheared your hand just sinks into their backs.   And I learned :  A young alpaca is called a cria "cree-ah".  I want one Daddy!!!Please!!! They will not scare your horses.

                                                   
She has a blog : alpacafarmgirl.com

And my fav :

I ended up getting some roving so that I can try my hand at spinning, and the bag wasn't marked with the name so I am not sure it came from this cutie but I am choosing to believe that it did.
She had some other interesting stuff :

But this is what I ended up with :

Luscious, right. I hope I dont screw it up.
So before the alpaca farm we stopped here :

The Yarn Cottage in Fairhope, I had never been so it was definately on my list and we had some time to kill before the farm.  I found some really cool stuff in their half off bin, this :

and the japanese needles which I meant to get two of and then left one on the table so if anybody is going back could you pick up another set for me, at $2 why not.

The purple thingys are some needle stoppers I have been coveting ever since Aimee told me about hers I have been looking and finally ran across some.  She swears by them and I have tried others and not been impressed, I have my round ends for my interchangables but these will be for everything else, can't have too many accessories......
Oh and shout out to Jean for the mini rubber place markers and the buttons for the interchangeable set so I know what needle size I was using after I am done procrastinating on a project and finally come back to it.  Very helpful. So thanks for those.
After the farm we felt like we needed a drink even though it was only around 2, you know you work up a sweat at a barn.  So we went here because - wait for it - they had Magner's.  For those of you that don't know it is the tastiest cider (some say Stongbow, and I'm not arguing I'm just glad we're talking about cider).  And I am sure I have ranted before about how you can't get it here in MS because of stupid laws, so I wanted a bday cider before we went back home.  This place was cool.
Fairhope was really a nice town, we had fun.  Oh and random, when I went to my bank atm (wellsfargo) the atm told me Happy Birthday.  I love technology, especially when it remembers my bday.
And I finished this :
You may think it is a nod to Where's Waldo but it is actually for an Arsenal fan. Football that is, well soccer if you're American and don't know any better.  Happy bday Robbie.

No comments:

Post a Comment