Friday, September 10, 2010

The Reveal

So here it is the big reveal...
This has been my top secret knitting project for the last month, (my knitting emergency, if you will, I know some people won't, but they suck. I wont name any names Kathleen but you know who you are)....because they were bday presents, and here she is modeling her bday loot:

#1 Icy Koolhaas Hat

Yarn : Sublime Cashmere Merino Silk Aran (Yes it is sublime!)
Pattern : Koolhaas by Jared Flood
*Pattern bought for me by fellow kniteratti Jean (thanks again Jean, you rock)
So just for the record this hat was knit twice.  Yes, twice.  Once to decreases, then ripped back to ribbing and knitted again.
Let me help you to not make the same mistakes I did.
So first issue was with the bars of yarn I was getting after every 8th row.  WHY DID NO ONE MENTION THIS ISSUE?!? I found no mention of this on all ravelry people who knit this pattern, what, like hundreds of people? am I seriously the only person who did not know that after the purl on the 8th row of chart you are supposed to move yarn to back before you slip stitch?  Maybe I am, but I feel like for a pattern you pay for, I want all the steps spelled out for the dumbass that I am.  Do not assume I know what I am doing.  So in the end it was good that I had to rip back to beginning, and you better believe I placed stitch markers after every repeat of chart in case I needed to rip back again, which is what foiled me the first time.  I mean, why in the decrease rounds would you spelled out K1, P1, K1, P1, K1 or whatever when basically you want me to knit my knits and purl my purls, but not tell me to ytb after that 8th row? Whatever. I am over it, not bitter at all.
Other issue is my own damn fault.  On the decreases it states to do something like P1, K1, P1, K1, P1, repeat.  So I didn't notice on my first attempt that you would have 2 purls together, so yeah, I guess I didn't truly pay attention. My bad.  But I consider myself a pro at this pattern now and will be making my own very soon out of the same yarn but a lusious granite gray, and am thinking I may do 3.5 rows instead of the 4, before I start decreases because hers was a little big.  Here I go effing with the pattern.  Stay tuned for futher rants.

#2 Cabled Hat
Yarn : Top of the Lamb Worsted
Pattern : All Over Cables Hat
Free pattern on Ravelry
So she obsessed over this hat, so I kinda had to make it, but beware I had issues.
So of course I changed pattern, but only because so many other users said cabled earflaps were too close together with original pattern so I modified and put 2 cables in front with only 1 in back and it came out well.  Only prob, and you cant tell in pic but they are not even. Whatev. Her ears will never get cold, right?

She said she loves them both (ectatic was her adjective) and that was what I was going for, so, mission accomplished.  No more secret knitting though, it stressed me out, and that not what knitting is supposed to be about, in fact quite the opposite.

2 comments:

  1. I think that the Koolhaas pattern should definitely have stated that you ytb before slipping a stitch. But the hat is gorgeous.

    Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, loved reading you rant. I am currently stewing about unravelling half a round because of lack of clarification on row 8 (a whole half round woopty doo!!) which is a lot when you are VERY knitting time poor with 2 kids under 3yo :)
    I unravelled because I decided to ktbl that slipped stitch because I couldn't bring myself to leave it unworked and end up with a bar at the back! Now I'm deciding whether I should've stuck to my guns and left it knit or if I should do the bar at the back like you've done...BLEH. Rant over.

    ReplyDelete